Sanssouci

Frederick was inspired to create the summer palace of Sanssouci while out on a ride in 1743, when he discovered the beautiful view from a hill just outside Potsdam during a picnic. Following his sketched outline, the court architect Georg Wenzeslaus von Knobelsdorff built the palace in 1745-47. Frederick decreed that he should be buried there together with his dogs. The words sans souci – ‘without cares’ – are inscribed on the garden facade.

Click on an image to view a larger version and caption.

Sanssouci at night

 

University of Hull logo

© 2012 Faculty of Medieval and Modern Languages, University of Oxford
Acknowledgements | Legal Notice

Stiftung Preußische Schlösser und Gärten Berlin-Brandenburg logo